Sometimes I get stuck until someone bosses me around.
Case in point: My garage has been a total trainwreck since I moved into my house in mid-2021.
I’ve even had big shelves on the walls for a few months — empty.
This week, my partner decided it was time to do something about it.
We suited up and walked into the garage together.
As usual, I promptly felt overwhelmed.
I was ready to just head back inside and ignore it for a little longer. (Ok, make that a LOT longer.)
Luckily, he was ready to keep me going with a plan:
- Move – We pulled each thing away from the walls or off of the old shelves
- Sort – I decided whether I was keeping or ditching each thing, and where it would go
- Place – I then found a new spot on the fresh shelves for each item I was keeping
In less than 90 minutes, we were able to organize and straighten ALL my stuff. The garage has never looked so good. 😎
Why am I telling you this? (Besides the obvious that I am STOKED?)
Y’all already know I’m a devotee of the StoryBrand messaging framework.
One of its signature elements is the 3-Step Plan.
(This might, in fact, be my favorite element. It’s certainly magic.)
The idea: People will NOT move forward into a fog.
So it’s our job as marketers, business owners, or guides of any kind (I’m looking at you, garage savior) to give people an easy path forward.
Did cleaning my garage ACTUALLY take only three steps?
Of course not.
But that three-step plan (move, sort, place) helped me get unstuck.
I highly recommend you come up with your own 3-step plan for what it takes to do business with you.
Then put it on your website, in your emails, in your social media, etc.
You’d be shocked at what a difference it can make. Just ask my garage.
PS – Want to nail your own 3-Step Plan? Book a Marketing Advisory Hour and we’ll get it knocked out (alongside anything else you want to work on).
Why THREE steps?
Three is a special number. There’s a rhythm to it, and our minds understand three elements as being complete.
We do everything from research to publishing.
We do everything from research to writing to publishing.
That second one just FEELS fuller.
Some other examples of the magic of 3s:
- Ready, aim, fire.
- Stop, drop, and roll.
- Crawl, walk, run.
Three is special.
Here are a few real examples of plans I’ve written for clients
For an estate planning lawyer:
- SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION – We’ll meet for 30 minutes so we can understand your situation and estate planning concerns.
- GET A BULLETPROOF ESTATE PLAN – We’ll combine your wishes with our years of experience to create a smart plan that holds up in practice.
- GO LIVE LIFE – Relax knowing you’re leaving a legacy that you can be proud of.
For a floatation tank center:
Getting the relaxation you’re craving is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Pick a time.
- Come and float.
- Feel more like yourself again.
For a real estate team:
START INVESTING WITH EASE
- MEET YOUR INVESTOR-FRIENDLY AGENT – Click Get Started to fill out a quick contact form. An experienced agent will contact you within one business day to understand your goals and needs (but never pressure you to act).
- SECURE YOUR FIRST INVESTMENT – We’ll walk you through every step of the process, from getting a mortgage to finding tenants. We’re here to help you identify and land the perfect deal for you.
- BUILD FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE – We’re more than agents; we’re your support team. With our valuable network, strong advice, and commitment to your success, we’ll help you build the life of your dreams.
This post was originally sent as an email to the Magic Words of the Week newsletter list. Every week, I share reflections on a word, quote, or phrase I think will help you thrive in your life’s work.